Sunday, July 02, 2006

"Who Loves Ya, Baby?"


Telly Savalas is the answer to the trivia question asked in the prior posting Trivial Pursuits (06/13/06). Savalas was born Aristotle Savalas in Garden City, New York in 1924. Injured as a GI in WWII, he was awarded a Purple Heart. He then joined the Information Services of the State Department, then went to work for ABC News, where he won a Peabody Award for his "Your Voice of America" series. He turned to acting in his late 30s playing villains in dozens of films and went on to be nominated for an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor opposite Burt Lancaster in Birdman Of Alcatraz(1962).
Then in the 1970's he was awarded a Golden Globe and an Emmy for his weekly series, Kojak.

1 comment:

Alex Calles said...

What’s up Art.

I’ve been following your Blog for a while. It’s pretty cool. I got your URL on my blogmarks. By the way I had no idea Telly Savalas started out that late, I'm also in my late 30's. I guess that does give me some hope! Although I'm not in to acting I still want to get involved in the movie making world. Exactly how, I still have no clear idea.

I’ll-be-back!