Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Finally, my own Oscar prize

By David Bjorkgren
Take Two movie critic

I am the proud owner of “Oscar’s Greatest Moments,” a collection of highlights from the Academy Awards ceremonies from 1971 through 1991. This was my prize, presented by my fellow movie critic, Art Ryan, at an Oscar Party, hosted by Art at his apartment, on Academy Awards night Feb. 26.


These parties have been an annual tradition for our small group of film lovers for decades, rivaled only by our traditional New Year’s Eve showing of “The Poseidon Adventure.” (For the uninitiated, the ship turns over on New Year’s Eve.) What we lack in numbers, we make up for in enthusiasm, riotous laughter and the ravenous consumption of Italian beef sandwiches and potato salad. (the latter made from using a special recipe handed down from Art’s mom.) So how enthusiastic are we? Several years ago, one of our friends called while in labor to check in with us about the Oscars. I still remember the call. It came in during the Best Film Editing award.

Anyway, Art is into movies in a big way and has more film knowledge in his little finger than I have in my entire brain, though admittedly that isn’t saying too much. In addition to his work as an actor, Art also worked for years at a video store, so his credentials regarding films and the like are fairly impressive.

Then there’s my friend Chris. He’s not really a Hollywood insider, yet for a couple of years now it seems he’s managed to walk away with the coveted Oscar Party prize. I chalk it down to the fact that he was able to research and actually see several of the nominated films.

That’s why winning the prize this year was a particular honor for me. Because I never win. Yet through some strange quirk of fate, I was able to see seven of the nine nominees. Seven of the nine. The only other time I came that close was in 2006, when I saw four of the five nominees. I still remember sitting alone in a dark theater during a last minute dash to see “Brokeback Mountain,” but that’s another story.

It is, of course, fortunate that many of the films were available for viewing on DVD or some version of Video on Demand. But what put it over for me was a sudden burst of energy to seek out the more obscure art houses. That led me to “The Artist,” definitely a top tier film, and deserved of an Oscar, though I am also nostalgically drawn to “Warhorse,” loved the writing and character play in “The Descendants,” was delighted by “Midnight in Paris” and impressed how much I liked “Moneyball” for things that had nothing to do with baseball. I was less wowed by “The Help” and, like most of you, didn’t understand “Tree of Life,” even as I gazed hypnotically at the imagery. Sadly, “Hugo” and “Extremely Loud…” passed me by before the Oscar deadline.

What I consider a real coupe, though, was an opportunity to see a very limited screening of the nominees for Best Short Film (Animated) and Best Short Film (Live Action). Seeing those films made the decision in those categories on the ballot form much easier. Considering I only won by two categories, I can safely say that it was that extra inside view that moved me to the winner’s circle. By the way, if you should ever happen upon “The Shore” (Live Action) or “The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris” (Animation), invest the 45 minutes to an hour to see both. It’s worth it.

Truth is, it was actually a terrific year for Academy-caliber movies and a real joy to be able to glide through the treasure trove of nominees. Unlike years past, this time a real contest was afoot.

And so, I’d like to thank the Academy for making movie watching fun again. I’d also like to thank all my friends and fellow movie buffs for their support and for making this award possible. A special thanks to Art for going on this movie adventure with me. May the years ahead be filled with positive reviews and silver screens. I’d also like to thank Donna for hanging in there and…oh, I see they’re playing me off. Anyway, thank you especially to all of my reading and viewing audience. Here’s to Oscar Party 2013.

No comments: